Shortcuts on iPhone are a powerful tool that can help you save time and automate everyday tasks. However, sometimes you may encounter an issue where the iOS Shortcuts do not launch automatically or do not respond to Siri commands. Don’t worry! In this blog, I am going to share some of the best possible solutions to fix shortcuts not working on your iPhone.
1. Force stop the Shortcuts app.
Your iPhone’s automation may stop suddenly if there is little free space in the RAM. Therefore, close apps, including shortcuts, from running in the background.
To force stop an app, swipe up on the Shortcuts app in the app drawer.
Open the Shortcut app again after 10 seconds and try to run any task.
2. Update Siri settings.
If your Siri Shortcuts are not responding, double check your Siri settings.
- Go to Settings → Siri & Search.
- Disable these three buttons:
- Hear “Hey Siri”
- Press the Siri side button
- Allow Siri when blocked.
- Wait a few seconds and turn it back on.
You can also restart your iPhone before enabling the settings. Also check that other options for the Shortcuts app are enabled.
3. Add “wait for return”
The “Wait for Return” script pauses execution of the shortcut until you return to the application again. This is useful if you want to stop shortcut actions when they are not in use and use them frequently. Moreover, it improves your iPhone’s battery.
- Go to the Shortcuts app → tap on the three dots icon in the shortcuts panel.
- Click on the search bar below.
- Enter Wait to return and select it.
- Click Done.
4. Check the source label
Each shortcut is designed to work differently and is launched from specific applications. Few shortcuts work from the Shortcut app, while some are only available from the General Sheet. The shortcut sometimes appears on the shared sheet but only works from the specific application. So try running it elsewhere if the specific iPhone automation doesn’t work.
- Open the Shortcuts app.
- Click on “Shortcuts” in the upper left corner.
- Select Share Sheet to check which shortcuts can be run from there.
If the label you want is not available on the shared sheet, follow these steps:
- In the Shortcuts app, tap the three-dot icon of the desired shortcut.
- Touch the information icon to open the details.
- Turn on Show in Shared Sheet → select Done.
5. Enable the shortcut to lock the screen
If you are facing iOS 16 shortcuts not working when your iPhone is locked, please do the following:
- Tap the three-dot icon for the shortcut you’re using.
- Click the info button at the bottom of the page.
- Go to the Privacy tab.
- Turn on Allow Playback when blocked.
6. Use official labels
Third party shortcuts downloaded from the Internet may contain errors or may not work properly. Therefore, I recommend using shortcuts from the app’s library.
- Open the Shortcuts app → Go to Gallery.
- Find the necessary automation.
- Select the shortcut → click Add Shortcut.
In some cases, you may need to customize the shortcut.
- Try running the shortcut.
7. Allowing untrusted sources
If you cannot find the desired iPhone automation in the gallery, you must download it from the Internet. But for security reasons, Apple does not allow you to run third-party scripts. Therefore, you need to allow untrusted shortcuts to use the shortcuts you added from other places on your iPhone.
8. Check the shortcut steps
Sometimes the shortcut suddenly stops working during playback or does not display the final result after launch. In this case, there may be no actions in the script. Therefore, you must check the script steps and edit the shortcut to get the desired results. But be careful, as the internal procedures are quite complex and even minor changes can affect functionality.
- Tap on the three-dot icon on the shortcut panel.
- Carefully review the list of steps to find and fix the problem.
- After making the necessary changes, click the Play icon.
For example, if the shortcut only gives you media output, be sure to add a “Save” action at the end. This will then fix if the shortcut was initially successful but failed to save the final document. Likewise, make sure “If there is no entry” is set to “Prompt” if the shortcut does nothing when you click it.
9. Remove and reconfigure the shortcut
If a few Siri Shortcuts are giving you problems while others work just fine, that’s the problem. You can fix this Shortcuts app not working issue by deleting the broken version and creating a new version of the shortcut.
- Open the Shortcuts app → tap Edit.
- Select the shortcut you want to remove.
- Click Remove → Remove Shortcut.
Now, to add the shortcut again, go to Gallery → Find and select the shortcut → Click on Add Shortcut.
10. Delete iCloud data
iCloud stores the downloaded shortcuts on your iPhone. But if the Shortcuts app can’t get the cloud data properly, it might stop working. Therefore, I suggest deleting the existing iCloud data of the Shortcuts app and
- Go to Settings → tap on your Apple ID.
- Select iCloud.
- Click Manage Account Storage.
- Select labels.
- Click Delete data → Delete.
11. Remove old shortcuts and automation.
Sometimes your old pinned shortcuts may be outdated and actions for any old apps or closed websites won’t work. Sometimes you will receive a message explaining the reason. So look for an alternative. Also, getting rid of old personal automations can be beneficial.
12. Clean up iPhone storage
You may encounter several annoyances, including broken shortcuts, if you are running out of free space on your iPhone. So free up some space on your iPhone to make sure the automation works well.
13. Remove the Shortcuts app.
Uninstall and reinstall the Shortcuts app to fix errors and crashes. First, sync the shortcuts to your iCloud. Next, delete the app from your iPhone and then download it from the App Store. Once the installation is complete, go to Settings -> Your Name -> iCloud and turn Shortcuts on or off.
14. Major Fixes for Shortcuts Not Working on iPhone.
- Check your internet: Some shortcuts require an internet connection to run, so make sure you have a strong cellular or Wi-Fi network.
- Download and reinstall the app: If the Shortcuts app’s data is corrupt or has accumulated too much memory, download the app. Then install it from the App Store.
- Restart iPhone: Apple suggests restarting your iPhone to fix minor software errors and glitches.
- Update your iPhone: Using an outdated iOS can cause crashes. Therefore, update your iPhone regularly. Go to Settings → General → Software Update. Click Download and Install to get the latest software.
- Restore Your iPhone: Siri Shortcuts Not Working Because Multiple iPhone Settings Conflict. So, reset your iPhone to factory settings to go back to the default settings.
Frequently Asked Questions Why don’t iPhone shortcuts work?
If iOS 16 shortcuts are not launching automatically, it could be due to many factors. Most likely there is a minor in-app bug or issue with the Shortcuts app. Also, outdated or broken shortcuts may not work properly. In addition, outdated software interferes with the efficient operation of your iPhone’s automation.
Take back your productivity!
Shortcuts on iPhone is a great feature that can make your life easier by automating tasks and saving you time. However, it can be frustrating when they stop working and disrupt your daily routine. I hope the above troubleshooting tips will help you fix the problem and restart shortcuts.
Find out more…
- How to Use the Shortcuts App on iPhone and iPad Like a Pro
- Best Shortcuts Apps for iPhone and iPad
- How to use shortcuts on your Apple Watch