Tired of manually turning on your HomePod or iPhone every morning just to enjoy the music? Wouldn’t it be great to automatically play your favorite songs at the exact time every day?
Good news, it is now possible with the Shortcuts app! With the right settings and just a few taps, you can wake up to your favorite music from your iPhone speaker or HomePod. In this article, I will guide you on how to set up auto play music on your HomePod or iPhone speaker.
How to set up your HomePod or iPhone to play music automatically
Before you go ahead and set up a dedicated timer to play music on your HomePod, make sure that your HomePod is paired with your iPhone.
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
- Go to the Automation tab → select Create personal automation.
If you don’t see this option, click the (+) symbol in the upper right corner.
- Choose any feature you want from the New Automation menu.
Here you have selected an alarm clock.
- Make the necessary changes to the alarm function → tap Next to continue.
- Select the “Play Music” option.
If you can’t find playing music option, you can search for the same from the search bar.
- Next, in the search bar at the bottom, find the “Change playback location” item.
Now you can add music of your choice or mood.
- Click on the Music option next to Play.
The button may disappear.
- Now when you open the Apple Music app, select Library → select the album or track of your choice.
- You can change the music actions using the drop down menu next to the selected music:
- If the output device you want is your iPhone, you can click Next to continue.
- If you want to change the output device, tap on iPhone and select HomePod.
- Once you have configured the actions according to your preferences, click Next.
- Turn off the Ask Before Launch option → tap Don’t Ask when prompted.
- Check when and if you want to do your automation → select Done to confirm.
- Now your personal automation is ready.
- In my case, the HomePod wouldn’t activate unless the alarm went off.
After setting up personal automations, your HomePod or iPhone speaker will automatically start playing built-in music at the specified time. You can create several automations for different times of the day or for different days of the week.
Troubleshoot common HomePod problems
No doubt, this feature is a boon for many iOS users, but no matter how perfect a device can be, it will still be prone to crashes and system crashes. However, you can avoid these mistakes by following some precautions.
- Make sure your HomePod or iPhone is connected to the Internet. Without an internet connection, the installation will not be able to download the songs or playlists you selected.
- Make sure that your HomePod speaker or iPhone is compatible with the music streaming service you’re trying to use. Your device may not support some services.
- Make sure the time is set correctly on your device. If it doesn’t, your HomePod or iPhone won’t be able to tell when the music is playing.
- Make sure your HomePod or iPhone has the latest software updates. This will ensure that the music streaming app and device are compatible.
If the problem persists, try resetting your HomePod and setting up the configurations again from scratch. Then, you can effectively fix any issues that may be preventing your song from autoplaying on the HomePod.
Can I choose which song to play automatically on my HomePod or iPhone speaker?
Yes, you can select any song from your music library to play it automatically at a specific time.
Can I set up multiple automatic song alarms on my HomePod or iPhone speaker?
Yes, you can set up multiple alarms with different songs on your HomePod or iPhone speaker.
Can I use Siri to set songs to play automatically on my HomePod or iPhone speaker?
Yes, you can use Siri to set a song to play automatically on your HomePod or iPhone speaker by saying, “Hey Siri, set an alarm to play (song title) at (time)”.
Give yourself a head start!
The ability to automatically play songs on a HomePod or iPhone speaker at a set time can make any home office endlessly useful. Whether you wake up to your favorite tune or add background music to your desk on certain occasions, it’s a great way to easily improve your surroundings.
By following a few simple steps, you can create a whole new level of atmosphere and comfort in your home or office.
- How to use the HomePod and HomePod Mini with your Mac
- HomePod 2nd Gen vs HomePod 1st Gen vs HomePod 2nd Gen
- How to use Handoff with HomePod Mini and HomePod