The Photos app can automatically identify the people in your photos and then group photos of the same people. Thus, you do not need to sort photos separately and create an album. You can also give names to each person and customize albums. Fun, isn’t it? Let’s learn how to use the People in Photos album on your iPhone like a pro!
How the People album works in the Photos app on iPhone
Apple has brought machine learning and facial recognition technologies to the Photos app. Thus, it can analyze your photos to identify faces, places, and objects in them. Then it sorts and groups photos of a specific person and creates a profile or people album. As a result, all people will have different people albums.
Plus, you’ll get a flashback slideshow of your photos with matching audio tracks and themes. In addition, you can add a name, mark anyone as a favourite, set a thumbnail, and more. Also, when iCloud Photos is turned on, all albums are synced between your Apple devices.
Now that you understand how your iPhone sorts photos, let’s learn how to master the People in Photos album.
How to create a People album on iPhone
You will usually find different people albums for all the faces that appear most frequently in your gallery. If your iPhone misses you, you can add someone to the photo album on your iPhone.
- Launch the Photos app and find the person’s photo in your gallery.
- Swipe up → tap on the face of the person with the question mark.
- Select Tag With.
- Now enter a name for this person and click Next.
- Confirm by clicking Done.
It will automatically create an album and add all similar photos to it.
Add a name for the face
Multiple untitled albums can be created in the Photos app. Your iPhone will recommend the names of the people in your contacts. You can also enter the name manually:
- Go to Photos → Albums.
- Select the People album in the People & Places section.
- Touch the thumbnail of the person you want to name.
- Select Add Name.
- Enter a name or select a name from the list of suggestions → tap Next.
- Finally, tap Done.
You entered the wrong name in the People album by mistake. The Photos app allows you to rename it. Just open the People album and tap on their name at the top. Now enter a new name and select “Next” and then “Finish”.
How to find someone in the photo album on your iPhone
The People album allows you to find photos of a specific person, so you don’t have to tediously browse the entire gallery.
- Open Photos → tap on the album.
- Select people.
- Here you will see a thumbnail of the faces. Click on the person you want.
Alternatively, if you named the person before, do the following:
- Go to Pictures and click Search.
- Enter the person’s name.
- Then choose one from the list shown.
Tag your favorite people
If you have many people’s albums in your gallery, it will be difficult to find a specific person. Thus, you can mark any album as your favourite. The person’s profile will be pinned to the top for quick access.
- Go to Photos → Albums → People.
- Tap the little heart icon on the thumbnail you want to tag.
- If the profile is not named, you will need to provide a name now.
Merge similar faces into one album
Due to different angles, your iPhone may label the same person in different albums. So this can lead to confusion. Therefore, combine all albums of one person into one. You can also get several people together to create a family album.
- Tap Select in the People album.
- Choose people to join.
- Click Merge.
- Select “Yes” in the pop-up window.
Check photos without categories
When creating the People album, you may see fewer photos because iPhone photos don’t recognize faces correctly. Therefore, you can look at the photos and make sure that they are the same person.
- Open the People album.
- Select the three dots icon and click on “Check additional images”.
- All blurry photos will appear and ask this [Person’s name]?
- Touch Yes to confirm.
- After reviewing all the photos, select Done.
Change the thumbnail
When your iPhone recognizes a face, it will take a random photo as a People profile thumbnail. If you don’t like it, you can upgrade it.
- Look in the “People” album and find the right picture.
- Now press and hold it.
- Click “Take a key image” in the popup.
Remove photos from the People album
If you find that the Photos app has added the wrong photo to the People album, you can easily delete it.
- Open the People album.
- Click Select.
- Now select the photos that you want to remove.
- Click on the three dots icon.
- Finally, click on This is not the case [person’s name].
Delete the album “People”
Multiple People albums can clutter up your gallery. This way you can clean up the mess by deleting the clutter you don’t need.
- Open the album of the people you want to delete.
- Click on the three dots icon.
- Select Delete [person’s name] of people from the list.
How to use fewer features in the People album on iPhone
You may notice that your Photos app shows pictures of people all over the place, from Memories, Featured Photos, or Photo Widgets. If it’s annoying, you can adjust the person’s vision lower.
- Go to the People album and click on the three dots icon.
- Select the job [person’s name] less.
- Choose between “Tag this person less often” or “Never tag this person.”
- Click Confirm.
You can also undo your changes and let the Photos app tag the person.
- Select any photo of that person and swipe up.
- Now tap on the person’s thumbnail.
- Select Reset [Name’s] Job settings.
- Touch it again in the popup.
That’s all for today, friends!
Setting People Albums will help your iPhone to better recognize and categorize your photos. You can also use the Memories in Photos feature to create amazing videos. Do you find it useful to use the People album in the Photos app on your iPhone? Let me know in the comments below.
Find out more…
- How to delete duplicate photos on iPhone, iPad and Mac
- How to batch edit photos on iPhone, iPad and Mac
- How to hide photos or videos on iPhone and iPad